Rice flour – 4 cups
Urad dal – 1 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
White til (Sesame Seeds) – 2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Water – to make the batter
Oil – for deep frying
Thenkuzhal Press and Mould, also called Thenkuzhal Naazhi
- Fry the rice flour for 5 minutes and keep aside.
- Fry the urad dal to a light brown colour, cool it and grind into fine powder and sieve.
- Mix all the ingredients with the rice flour and powdered ural dal and knead with water to make the batter.
(Checkpoint: The consistency of the batter should be such that it can go through the manual extruder for Thenkuzhal; the Thenkuzhal press and mould also called Thenkuzhal Naazhi.)
- Heat the oil for deep-frying.
- Fill the extruder with the batter.
- Use the extruder to squeeze out the batter in squiggly circles in the oil.
- Take the thenkuzhals when they turn golden-brown.
- Serve or store.
This dish is prepared on the day of Gokulashtami, along with other sweets and savouries.