Yields: 1 cup
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Pressure Cooking Time (For Channa Dal): 2 Whistles
Channa Dal or Split Bengal Gram or Split Chickpeas – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on sweetness desired
Water (for cooking channa dal) – 1/2 cup
Water (for melting jaggery) – 1/4 cup
Cardamom/Elaichi Powder – 1 tsp
Cashewnuts – 5 or 6 nos (whole or halved)
Ghee (for chundal) – 1/2 tbsp
Ghee (for frying cashewnuts) = 1/2 tbsp
Salt – a pinch
- Fry the channa dals for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cool it.
- When cooled, add water and pressure cook for about 2 whistles and keep aside.
- Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup of water until the consistency becomes like honey (one-string consistency).
- Add a pinch of salt to the jaggery syrup.
- Add the cooked channa dal to the jaggery syrup and saute well.
- Add cardamom/elaichi powder and 1/2 tbsp ghee.
- Saute well.
- Fry the cashewnuts in 1/2 tbsp ghee in a separate pan till they turn light golden-brown.
- Add the cashewnuts over the chundal for garnishing.
This dish is prepared on Vinayaka Chathurthi and also during Navarathri/Dusshera.