Yields: 3 cups
Preparation Time: 5-10 Minutes
Ash Gourd (Elavan) – 1 cup (chopped)
Green chillies – 1 to 2 nos (as per spice requirements)
Grated Coconut – 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
Yogurt (beaten; not too thick) – 1 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Chopped) – 1/2 tbsp
- Pressure cook the chopped ash gourd for 1 whistle or simply boil with water and salt.
(Checkpoint: The ash gourd is cooked when the pieces turn translucent.)
- Grind the green chillies and coconut together with a little yogurt to make a paste.
- Add the green chilli paste to the chopped ash gourd.
- Add the rest of the yogurt to the ash gourd.
- Add salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan or tempering vessel.
- Add mustard seeds to oil.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, season the yogurt mixture with it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
Serve this as one of the items in a traditional plantain leaf spread or as a side dish for rice items.