Yields: 3 cups
Preparation Time: 5-10 Minutes
Cucumber – 1/2 (enough to yield 1/2 cup when chopped)
Tomato – 1 small (enough to yield 1/2 cup when chopped)
Green chillies – 1 to 2 nos (as per spice requirements)
Grated Coconut – 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
Yogurt (beaten; not too thick) – 1 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Chopped) – 1/2 tbsp
- Wash the cucumber.
- Peel the skin.
- Chop the cucumber into tiny 5 mm pieces and keep aside.
- Wash the tomato.
- Chop the tomato into tiny 5 mm pieces and mix with the cucumber.
- Grind the green chillies and coconut together with a little yogurt to make a paste.
- Add the green chilli paste to the chopped cucumber and tomato.
- Add the rest of the yogurt to the cucumber and tomato.
- Add salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan or tempering vessel.
- Add mustard seeds to oil.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, season the yogurt mixture with it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
Serve this as one of the items in a traditional plantain leaf spread or as a side dish for rice items.
- Persian cucumbers taste best for this dish.
- You can also add a little ginger to the green chili paste to give added spice.