Yields: 2 Cups (Serves 3 to 4 People)
Preparation Time: 15 to 20 Minutes
Cabbage / Green Beans / Snake Gourd (Podalangai) / Cluster Beans (Kothavarakkai) / Carrot / Beetroot / Kovakkai (Tinda) – 3 cups when chopped fine
Water – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Green Chilli – 2 to 3 nos (depending on spiciness desired)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 3 to 4 nos
- Heat oil in a kadai or big saute pan.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the chopped vegetable(s), turmeric powder and water.
- Close with lid to allow the vegetable to cook.
(Checkpoint: The vegetable should not be overcooked. It should maintain its crispness.)
- Add salt and mix well.
- Grind the coconut and green chilli without adding water.
- Add the coconut-chilli paste to the cooked vegetable and saute well.
- Season with curry leaves.
Serve as a side dish for rice, or also for chappathis and rotis.
- You can use a combination of the vegetables as well.