Yields: 2 cups
Soaking Time for Black-Eyed Peas: 2 Hour
Pressure Cooking Time for Black-Eyed Peas: 2 Whistles
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Black Eyed Peas or Karamani – 1 cup
Water – 2 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
LG Powder or Hing – 1 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Green Chilli – 1 nos
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tbsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4 nos
Red Chilli – 1 nos
- Soak the black-eyed peas in 1 cup of water for 2 hours.
- Pressure cook the peas with a pinch of turmeric powder for 2 whistles adding a little more water, enough to cook it well.
- Once cooked, strain the peas and keep aside.
- In a saute pan, temper the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add the red chilli and curry leaves to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, LG Powder and salt.
- Add the cooked peas and saute well for 5 minutes.
- Cover the pan with the lid for 5 minutes.
- Grind the coconut and green chilli together and add to the chundal and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Take off of heat and close with lid.
- Keep lid closed until before serving.