Yields: 2 cups
Soaking Time for Black-Eyed Peas: 2 Hour
Pressure Cooking Time for Black-Eyed Peas: 2 Whistles
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Black-Eyed Peas or Karamani – 1 cup
Water (For Soaking) – 1 cup
Water (For Pressure Cooking) – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Soak the black-eyed peas in 1 cup of water for 2 hours.
- Pressure cook the peas for 2 whistles adding a little more water, enough to cook it well.
- Once cooked, strain the peas and keep aside.
- Heat the jaggery in a saute pan until it becomes one string consistency.
- Add the peas to the jaggery and saute well.
- Add cardamom powder and saute well until the chundal becomes dry.
- Add ghee and grated coconut and saute for 2 minutes.
- Take off of heat and close with lid.
- Keep lid closed until before serving.