Yields: 5 to 6 cups
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Baking Time: 40 mins
Pre-heat Temperature: 300 Degree Fahrenheit (or about 150 Degree Celsius)
Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats – 3 cups
Slivered or chopped Almonds – 1/2 cup
Chopped Walnuts – 1/2 cup
Chopped Pecans – 1/2 cup
Raisins – 1/2 cup
Honey – 1/2 to 3/4 cup (based on sweetness desired)
Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Baking Spray or Oil – enough to lightly grease the baking pan
SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED
Baking Pan just large enough to hold the mixture in a layer of about 1 inch thickness.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except honey and mix well.
- Once the dry ingredients are mixed thoroughly, add the honey and mix well so that the entire mixture is somewhat sticky.
- Grease the baking pan with the baking spray or oil.
- Spread the oat mixture in the baking pan in an even layer of about 1 inch thickness.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes, and keep mixing the granola at regular intervals so that the mixture gets evenly baked.
(Checkpoint: The granola is ready when the mixture turns golden-brown.)
- Once done, take out the pan and cool.
- Store the granola in a container and serve when needed.
- You can also use Maple Syrup instead of Honey. You can substitute any syrup to give a flavor to the granola. And you can add some more honey if you want it to be more sweet.
- You can even add chopped dried cranberries to the mixture, either before or after baking.
- You can an add any kind of dried fruit like dates, apricots etc. and nuts to the granola and be creative!
- You can add chocolate chips to the mixture too.
- You can give it an Indian flavor by adding 1/4 tsp of Cardamom or Elaichi Powder as well.
- Granola can be mixed in with vanilla yogurt, or fruit yogurt or even just plain yogurt with a pinch of sugar and fresh fruits like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc.
- You can even add granola to your milk and have like a normal breakfast cereal.
- You can have granola as it is, or you can make your own granola bars – just add a little bit of honey or syrup and form them into bar shapes or even cookie shapes and place them in the oven to bake.
- You can even use granola as a healthy topping over ice cream and other desserts.