Yields: 15 nos.
Soaking Time for Dried Fruits: 2 to 3 hours
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Dates (remove the seeds or use seedless dates) – 25 nos
Dried fig – 15 nos
Almonds – 7 nos (you can use 2 tbsp of slivered almonds instead)
Chopped Pistachio – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Water – 3 tbsp (to make sugar syrup)
Water – enough to soak dates, figs and almonds
- Soak the dates, almonds and figs in water for about 2-3 hours.
- Remove the skin of almonds and cut the almonds into long pieces (slivered almonds).
- Grind the dates and figs together to make a coarse pulp and keep aside.
- Boil the sugar in 3 tbsp of water.
- When the sugar syrup becomes thick, add the date pup, slivered almonds and chopped pistachio.
(Consistency Checkpoint: The sugar syrup should reach the two string consistency. To check this, put one drop of the syrup on your thumb and close and open on your thumb with the index finger. While the syrup stretches between the thumb index, if two strings or strands appear, then it is two string consistency.)
- Stir well.
- Add ghee and mix well again.
(Consistency Checkpoint: The halwa should become one single ball or mass.)
- Grease a plate with a little ghee and pour the halwa into it.
- Let cool and then cut into small 1 inch squares.
(Note: The halwa will not be hard, so you can even mould into shapes by hand.)