Yields: 4 cups
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Pressure Cooking time for kavathu and peas – 2 whistles
Pressure Cooking time for avarakkai – 1 whistle
Kavathu (Yam Retalu) – 3 cups (diced roughly – chethinathu)
Avarakkai – 1 cups (3/4 inch long pieces)
Green Peas – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups (enough to just immerse the vegetables while pressure cooking them)
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Green Chilli – 3 to 4 nos
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 3 to 4 nos
Coconut Oil – for sprinkling over
- Remove the skin of kavathu and chop into rough dices.
- Cut the avarakkai into 3/4 inch long pieces.
- Pressure cook the kavathu and green peas together with 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and water for 2 whistles.
- Pressure cook the avarakkai with water and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder for 1 whistle.
- In a saute pan, add the cooked vegetables, slit green chillies and salt and mix well and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add grated coconut to the mixture.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add urad dal and curry leaves.
- Once the urad dal turns light brown. pour over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle a little coconut oil over the poduthuval for the aroma.
- Serve with kali.