Yields: 1 cup
Preparation Time: 5 to 10 Minutes
Soaking Time for Moong Dal: 1 Hour
Moong Dal or Split Green Gram (Yellow in color) or Paasi Parappu – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup or enough to soak the dal
Cucumber – 1/2 nos. (should yield about a little less than 1/4 cup when chopped)
Carrot – 1/2 nos. (should yield about a little less than 1/4 cup when chopped)
Green Chilli – 1 no.
Coriander or Cilantro Leaves – a handful
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Soak the moong dal in water for about an hour.
- Chop the cucumber and carrot finely, into little cubes.
- Chop the green chilli finely.
- Chop the coriander leaves finely.
- Drain the water from the soaked moong dal.
- Add the chopped vegetables and herbs into the moong dal and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Offer as neivedhyam and serve.
- This dish can be prepared as a salad as well.
- This dish is prepared on Rama Navami along with other dishes. It is prepared because it is believed to be a favorite for Lord Hanuman, the loyal devotee of Lord Rama.