Yields: 1 Cup or 1 Glass
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Buttermilk/Yogurt to Water = 1:1
This is a basic ratio for medium thick buttermilk. But the actual quantities depend on how watery you want the drink to be and so the ratio is more of an eye measure.
Buttermilk or Yogurt – 1/2 cup (can be thick)
Water – 1/2 cup
Curry Leaves – 5 or 6 nos.
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Green Chilli – 1/4 to 1/2 of one chill (depends on spiciness desired)
Asafoetida or Hing or LG Powder – a pinch
- Mix the buttermilk with water thoroughly.
- Grind the curry leaves, ginger piece and the green chill piece together.
- Add the ground spices to the buttermilk.
- Add the asafetida.
- Mix well.
- Offer as neivedhyam and serve.
- This drink keeps the body cool and can be had anytime of the day, and is very helpful in preventing dehydration during summer days.
- This drink is prepared on Rama Navami along with other dishes.
- This is a really watery drink. Neer means water or liquid, and moru means buttermilk in tamil, and hence the name.